Work Visa img

What is a U-Visa?

This Visa can give you the possibility of legally staying or enter to the United States for a period of 4 years if you meet the requirements. This Visa is temporary, but it can give you the possibility of obtaining a green card. It also has can allow you to “waive” some situations that usually make you inadmissible to the United States.

To qualify for a U-Visa you must

  • Has being a victim of a qualified crime
  • Has suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of criminal activity
  • Possesses information concerning the criminal activity
  • Has been helpful, or are being helpful, or are likely to be helpful to a Federal, State, or local law enforcement official with the investigation or prosecution of the crime.
  • The criminal activity violated the laws of the United States or occurred in the United States or the territories and possessions of the United States.

There is a list of crimes that qualifies for a U-Visa Petition; some of these are domestic violence, sexual abuse, criminal assault, torture, murder, etc.

A victim is a person who has suffered direct and proximate harm as the result of the commission of one of the criminal acts. It could also be an “indirect victim” such as family members.

If approved, the U-Visa can give you and certain family members permission to stay in the United States as a non-immigrant for a period of 4 years in some cases, it could have the possibility of staying permanently in the United States.

I have handled U-Visa cases, contact me for an evaluation of your case and know if you meet the requirements for this Visa.